Source: GlutenFreeGoddess + WholeFoodsMarket
Vegan pesto is all about the herbs and nuts. You won’t miss the cheese.
- 2 cups, washed, loosely packed stemmed fresh herbs – basil, cilantro, parsley, mint
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (or shelled pecans)
- 1/2 cup walnuts *
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, as needed *
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast *
- 3/4 cups silken tofu *
- 5 tsp. mellow white miso *
Place the pine nuts and chopped garlic in a skillet over medium heat, and cook stirring constantly, until lightly toasted
Combine nuts, and garlic in a food processor
, add basil or other herb in batches, pulsing after each addition. Add miso, tofu, yeast, salt, and pepper, and process the mixture until it turns into a coarse meal.
If using oil, slowly add extra virgin olive oil in a steady drizzle as you pulse the processor on and off. Process until it becomes a smooth, light paste. Add enough olive oil to keep it moist and spreadable.Cover and store chilled for at least an hour to saturate the flavors. Keep chilled until ready to use.
* – optional